Reuters - Two-years of after-school physical activity helped lessen the number of overweight and obese fourth- and fifth-grade girls, but not boys, and led to declines in cholesterol levels in girls and boys, report researchers from Spain.
How Fit Are You? Measuring Up Your Fitness Level
Five basic indicators that will help you measure and gauge your fitness level are:
- Body Weight: Your weight is the easiest indication of your fitness level. If you are overweight for your height and age, then you can easily pronounce yourself unfit easily. However, this might not be an absolute indication since in some cases, you might have a high bone or muscle density, rather than fat deposits, which might be taking your weight up the scales. So make sure that you also check out the other parameters for determining how fit you are.
- Blood Pressure: Gone are the days when only old people suffered from high blood pressure and heart attacks. Before you start on an exercise regimen or a strict diet, check your blood pressure. You can buy a portable blood pressure meter from your pharmacist at an affordable rate nowadays, or get your blood pressure checked by a professional. If your blood pressure does not fall near the 120(systolic) and 80(diastolic) readings, then consult a physician before starting your exercise regimen.
- Waist to Hip Ratio: Abdominal fat not only makes you look ugly, but it is also an indicator of serious health risks. Measure your waist at the navel and your hips at their widest area and divide the waist measurement by the hip measurement. If the ratio is more than 0.95 for men or .80 for women, then you really need to improve your fitness level.
- Flexibility: Being fit means being flexible. Test how flexible you are by sitting on the floor with your legs outstretched and then try and touch your toes. Even if you cannot touch your toes, it does mot mean that you are not fit, but if you manage to reach only a little past your knees, or not even there, then your fitness level is a big problem.
- Heart Rate: Your resting heart rate is a simple indication of your overall fitness level. Count your pulse for 10 seconds while you are still on your bed after waking up in the morning. Multiply this number by 6 and you have your resting heart rate. In healthy individuals, this should not be more than 60. With a resting heart rate of more than 60, your fitness level is not up to the mark and needs to be worked upon.
Measure Your Fitness Level with Fitness Test
With Fitness Test software, you can check your fitness level in just three minutes. All you need to do is to install the fitness software and then take the ear clip, plug it into your computer, and then attach it to your ear. In just a few minutes, you will get a detailed assessment of your fitness and whether you are on the right track. Honest and comprehensive, the Fitness Test allows you to increase your fitness and reach the goals you have set for yourself.
For people with troubling cases of fibromyalgia, a combination of behavioral counseling and exercise therapy tailored to their specific needs may bring some symptom relief, a new study suggests.
Fitness Test benefits:
time to workout?
should I eat?